Parker Area Chamber of Commerce Content Circa 2010
For a number of year this was the official website of the Parker Area Chamber of Commerce.
Content is mostly from the site's 2010 archived pages.
If you have inadvertantly ended up here looking for the Parker Area Chamber of Commerce, their current website is found at: http://www.parkeraz.org/
1217 California Avenue
Parker, AZ 85344
Parker Area Chamber of Commerce
Creating better business opportunities...
The Parker Area Chamber of Commerce facilitates and promotes the prosperity of the Parker area business environment, which enhances the quality of life for the entire region.
The Parker Area Chamber of Commerce can provide assistance to your business in the following ways:
- Access to networking
- Representation at all levels of government
- Economic development through business promotion
- Information on Parker Area demographics
- Solutions to community challenges
- Programs to help new and established businesses
What can being a member do for you?
Membership in the Parker Area Chamber of Commerce provides:
- Referral to thousands of annual visitors!
- Networking with individuals and business people at monthly mixers and annual events!
- Insertion of fliers in monthly newsletter!
- Assistance with your Grand Opening and/or Ribbon cutting ceremonies with a photo in the local newspaper!
- Display your business cards and fliers in our visitor's center!
- Receive member-to-member discounts!
- Added credibility and consumer confidence when you display the Chamber plaque at your place of business.
- A voice in important decisions affecting the local business environment!
- Access to Value-Added discounts on fliers and member to member discounts.
- Alphabetical and categorical listings in Parker's finest business directory and guidebook.
- A place in the Chamber's online business directory with a hyperlink to your site.
- An Internet World Wide Web presence.
- The Chamber Perspective, the monthly newsletter for and about members provides timely information, as well as exclusive opportunities to advertise and promote your business to more than 850 decision makers.
- Up-to-date mailing lists of the entire membership and/or VIP's on ready-to-use postal labels at a substantial discount.
- Exclusive opportunities to participate in tradeshows and special events.
- Referrals to callers and newcomers seeking assistance for local products and services.
- Our Monthly Mixers allow every member from the CEO to the sales rep to mix and enjoy good food while making valuable contacts.
- Workshops, seminars, committees and task forces to problem solve and address business needs, issues and concerns.
- Access to Arizona and U.S. Chamber programs.
Parker, Arizona is located on the east bank of the Colorado River. The Parker “Area” includes several separate but interested areas: the Town of Parker, Parker South, the Parker Valley, the Parker Strip and the communities of Earp, Parker Dam and Big River on the California side of the river. The Town of Parker is a one square mile area that was founded in 1908. In 1983, voters formed La Paz County, carved from the northern portion of Yuma County. Parker became the county seat for the newly-formed La Paz County.
The Parker Dam and Power plant located at the north end of the 16-mile Parker Strip, was completed in 1938, forming Lake Havasu. Parker Dam is a concrete gravity arch dam that is 320 feet tall, although 235 feet of it is below the riverbed, making it the deepest dam in the world.
Parker has attracted a number of high tech businesses due to accommodating tax laws and nearby wilderness surroundings. TopData is a data science and devops developer with clients across the globe. The Maryland online retailer SterlingForever runs an ecommerce jewelry webstore on a data center located here. This business was recently featured in Market Week for their innovative product line and websites which enables customers to very quickly find cubic zirconia rings designs along with sterling silver jewelry from their large inventory of fashion assessories. Slide Technologies has a team of website designers who work from a the old Stage warehouse in town and they are also opening a small restaurant in an adjacent building.
Parker offers a blend of small town charm with a vast array of year-round recreational activities, including boating, water skiing, swimming, parasailing, fishing, camping, hiking and golf at the award-winning Emerald Canyon Golf course, the “Jewel of the Colorado River.”
The Colorado River Indian Tribes
The Colorado River Indian Tribes, or “CRIT” as they are commonly called, occupy nearly 270,000 acres of reservation land in both Arizona and California, with some 90 miles of Colorado River shoreline. The CRIT reservation was established in 1865 by Charles Poston, the first Indian Superintendent for Arizona. Poston proclaimed the reservation for “Indians of said river and it tributaries.” The Mohave Tribe has inhabited the area for centuries, while members of the Chemehuevi, Hopi and Navajo Tribes relocated to the reservation later.
Tribal history in the area is evidenced by numerous petroglyphs, intaglios, pictographs and ancient trails. The Tribal Museum and Library have a wealth of information that preserves and interprets the unique history and heritage of each of the four tribes. The Tribal Museum maintains two national historic sites: the Old Mohave Presbyterian Mission and the frontier community of La Paz. Both are open to the public. During World War II, thousands of American citizens of Japanese descent were detained at an internment camp in Poston. The Poston Memorial Monument and Kiosk, located 11 miles south of Parker, is dedicated to the Japanese people who were incarcerated there.
The Ahakhav Tribal Preserve was established in 1995 and currently consists of 1,253 acres of wilderness area and a 3.5 acre park. The preserve is centered on a reconstructed Colorado River backwater, which offers a variety of activities including fishing, canoeing, birding, and swimming.
The BlueWater Resort and Casino was completed in 1996 along the shore of the Colorado River one mile north of Parker. The Aztec-themed resort has 200 rooms, an indoor water park, four-screen theater, outdoor amphitheater, several restaurants, a large boat marina and gaming area. The BlueWater Resort is a focal point for community events and celebrations and celebrity entertainment year-round.
|President Elect||Kirk Daniels
Kirk's Cabinets & Countertops
|V.P. Goals||Gloria Flores-Lopez
|V.P. Finance||Chonna Marshall
CB Real Estate Services
|V.P. Membership||Don Rountree
Spanky's RV & Marine
River Land Resort
BlueWater Resort & Casino
KPKR River Rat Radio 97.3 FM
Economic Development Chair
|Executive Director||Randy Hartless
|Visitor Services/Admin. Assistant||Debbie Bazilius
|Bookkeeper/Member Services||Kristi Olkowski
Parker, Arizona is located in La Paz County.
|Average County Elevation:||1642 Feet|
|County Land Area:||4500 square miles|
|Land area:||22.0 square miles|
|This county does not observe Day Light Savings Time.|
|Zip Code:||Parker, Arizona 85344|
|Telephone Area Code:||928|
|Population: (year 2000)||3,140. Estimated population in July 2004: 3,167 (+0.9% change)
Males: 1,521 (48.4%), Females: 1,619 (51.6%)
|Population change in the 1990s:||+331 (+11.8%)|
|Races in Parker:||White Non-Hispanic (45.4%)
American Indian (26.2%)
Other race (7.5%)
Two or more races (4.5%)
|Ancestries:||German (9.7%), English (8.9%), Irish (8.0%), United States (4.8%), Scottish (2.5%), Dutch (2.2%).|
|Persons Per Household:||2.55|
|Median household income:||$34,625 (year 2000)|
|Median resident age:||32.4 years|
|Median house value:||$87,700 (year 2000)|
|For population 25 years and over in Parker|
|High school or higher: 70.4%
Bachelor's degree or higher: 15.5%
Graduate or professional degree: 5.4%
|Mean travel time to work:||10.5 minutes|
|For population 15 years and over in Parker town|
|Never married: 27.8%
Now married: 52.0%
9.6% Foreign born (8.3% Latin America).
|Postal Center Type:||Post Office|
|Crime:||The number of violent crimes recorded by the FBI in 2003 was 2. The number of murders and homicides was 0. The violent crime rate was 0.6 per 1,000 people.|
|Filming location:||2003 movie, "Mona Lisa Smile"|
|Nearby parks & recreation:||Buckskin State Park, River Island State Park, La Paz County Park|
|Wildlife:||Bill Williams National Wildlife Refuge|
|Parker attractions:||Casino, Popular site for boating|